plaugue of unsubscribes

Alex Strasheim alex at crawfish.suba.com
Thu Apr 18 14:42:35 PDT 1996

I've started sending mail to postmasters when I get one of those "take me
off your list!" messages.

I explain that the user is on a high volume list, that he wants off, but
that he seems unwilling or unable to do it himself.  He's harassing the
members of the list, who don't have the ability to remove him, and he
doesn't seem to be reading our replies to his "take me off!" messages,
which tell him how to solve his problem.

Then I ask the postmaster to explain how to get off the list to the user.

These guys are abusing email, and since they don't read our mail, the
postmaster is the only solution.  Perhaps if a few of us start writing to
the postmasters, they'll help the user figure out how to get off.