What can the judge do to me? (fwd)

Mark Eckenwiler eck at panix.com
Wed Apr 17 01:55:02 PDT 1996

+ From: Black Unicorn <unicorn at schloss.li>
+
+ "Contempts such as failure to comply with document discovery, for
+ example, while occurring outside the court's presence, impede the
+ court's ability to adjudicate the proceedings before it and thus touch
+ upon the core justification for the contempt power....  Similarly,
+ indirect contempts involving discrete, readily ascertainable acts,
+ _such as turning over a key_ or payment of a judgment, properly may be
+ adjudicated through civil proceedings since the need for extensive,
+ impartial fact-finding is less pressing."  International Union, supra
+ (emphasis added).
+ I think it's clear, the court literally spells this out, that holding
+ a witness indefinitely until he complies with court orders is within
+ the discretion of a judge.  Compelling through sanctions the
+ production of a "key" (though I'm not sure a crypto key is directly
+ contemplated) is likewise clearly permitted.

Producing a physical key may or may not be testimonial under the
"production privilege" doctrine established by the Supreme Court in
Fisher and the Doe cases.  Producing a *crypto* key -- if it exists
only in one's mind -- is indisputably full-fledged Fifth Amendment
testimony.  I refer you to the language in Doe II (joined by all 9
Justices) distinguishing between "the key to a safe and the
combination to a safe" -- the latter enjoying full Fifth Amendment
protection from forced disclosure.

(The message to which I'm responding was forwarded to me, as I do not
subscribe to c-punks.  If you want me to see a reply, cc me.)