carrick, Blowfish & the NSA

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Apr 14 19:57:20 PDT 1996

Wei Dai writes:
> On the other hand, if you ask cryptographers what they would use if they
> were not concerned with efficiency, I think most of them would say triple
> DES.

I'd say that for most applications these days one needn't worry too
much.

Almost all my internal communications these days inside my own LAN are
encrypted. I hardly if ever notice performance issues. When I do, I
decide if I don't care about the traffic (which sometimes is the case)
and then I use RC4.

Anyway, the point is that performance shouldn't be thought of as an
issue unless you have a system built and in use and you find that it
is a bottleneck. Often you would be surprised at how little of a
bottleneck it really is.

Perry