math patents

Lee Tien tien at well.com
Sun Apr 14 13:15:23 PDT 1996

I believe Jim's not looked back far enough.  My recollection from law
school is that the law was friendly to math patents in the period before
the Supreme Court weighed in.  There were some PTO denials, which courts
reversed (I think the Court of Claims heard these back then).  So I think
the trend was toward patenting processes even if mathematical until
Gottschalk v. Benson.  It's a conceptually messy area because "processes"
have long been patentable (like the Morse telegraphy/Bell telephony
patents) but the Supreme Court saw the Benson application as violating the
doctrine against patenting "laws of nature."

Lee