Is crypt(1) a prohibited export?

Dan Busarow dan at dpcsys.com
Sun Apr 14 09:58:50 PDT 1996

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Jeremey Barrett wrote:

> Did the library include other encryption functions, other than one-way
> functions?

The library includes the functions encrypt(3) and des_encrypt(3).  In the
US-Only version of the library each of these functions accepts a flag
value of 1 to indicate de-cryption, the export version ignores the flag,
decryption is disabled.

> On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Dan Busarow wrote:
> > seperate product in their development systems.  Only US and Canadian
> > customers are allowed to buy the library.

I should have said only US and Canadian customers can purchase the uncrippled
version of the library.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow