Is crypt(1) a prohibited export?

Alan Olsen alano at teleport.com
Sat Apr 13 18:40:08 PDT 1996

At 12:31 AM 4/10/96 -0700, Chris McAuliffe wrote:

>The man page is a bit dated:
>	crypt implements a one-rotor machine designed along the lines of the
>	German Enigma, but with a 256-element rotor.  Methods of attack on
>	such machines are known, but not widely; moreover the amount of work
>	required is likely to be large.
>
>Clearly written before CBW became popular.

What they are not telling you is the "large amount of work" is to get CBW to
*compile*, not to break crypt(1).  (Crypt Breakers Workbench uses some
obsolete calls.  I do not know of an existing updated version, but that does
not mean one does not exist...)
---
|   Remember: Life is not always champagne. Sometimes it is REAL pain.   |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano at teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/          | alano at teleport.com  |