unsubscrive - Let's make a special list for these people!

Steve Reid steve at edmweb.com
Sat Apr 13 18:31:43 PDT 1996

> I agree with you to a point, Tim.  They probably haven't read the
> messages about how to properly unsubscrive.  Not because they are
> dweebs or because they think it's funny.  they probably haven't read
> the messages because they have 2 or 3 thousand messages in their

It is clearly explained in the Welcome message, that this is a
high-volume list... And the instructions to unsubscribe are right there,
along with the message saying that you should save those instructions in
case you do want to leave.

I have an idea....

Create a special "unsubscrive mailing list". Anyone who sends
"unsubscrive" to a mailing list is removed from that list, and placed on
this special "unsubscrive list". When anyone is annoyed by the latest wave
of "unsubscrive"s, they can (after first moving the offenders to the
special unsubscrive list) send their own "unsubscrive" messages out to
that list, which will then copy it mailing-list-style to everyone who has
improperly used any mailing lists. The idiots on the list will also try to
send out their own "unsubscrive" messages trying to get off the special
list, which will of course end up back in their mailboxes and in the
mailboxes of all the other idiots.

Eventually they will "graduate" by figuring out the CORRECT way to
unsubscribe, and the list server will obey any unsubscribe commands it
actually recieves. Having learned the hard way, they will never forget.

Good idea, or what? :)