On computer face recognition:

David Loysen dwl at hnc.com
Sat Apr 13 10:40:08 PDT 1996

At 10:02 PM 4/10/96 -0700, you wrote:

>On computer face recognition:
>

>>> Shaving probably will not be a problem, but holding your head at a
>>> slightly different angle...  will screw up the system totally,
>>> unless the system has radically improved since the last time I read
>>> up on it.
>
>At 11:45 AM 4/9/96 -0500, K00l Secrets wrote:
>> Well, the systems I have seen are quite good at finding people's eyes.
>> Scaling (for distance), and rotation (for the angle of your head)
>> therefore don't really confuse the system once it has your eyes.
>
>Finding the eyes can only control for rotations in the plane of
>the image, when you tilt your head to one side.  They cannot
>handle the much more common case of 3D rotations, where you
>look slightly to the right or slightly to the left of camera.
>Facial expressions also throw them badly.

Take a peak at http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/lawrence/papers. One of
Lawences papers is on using Neural networks to recognize faces. Methinks
that the state of the art is advancing rapidly and such problems as not
looking at the camera or changing your expression are rapidly being overcome.

dwl at hnc.com

Zippity do da, zippity ah, my oh my what a wonderful day.
Ya right, and hear I am without time to finish a cup of coffee.