Protocols at the Point of a Gun

Scott Brickner sjb at universe.digex.net
Sat Apr 13 06:31:28 PDT 1996

Marshall Clow writes:
>>Anyway, you computer creates the IP packet, but then sends it to your
>>ISP's router.  That router *always* makes changes to the packet header
>>because it must decrement the time-to-live field and recompute the
>>header checksum.  The ISP's router software would (in the scenario I
>>suggested, but deplore), based on to whom it's connected, set the
>>drivers licence flag as it sees fit.  When a PPP account of a "minor"
>>sends a packet, the router always inserts "minor".  When the account of
>>an adult sends it, it inserts "adult".  When the account of a partner
>>who has contractually accepted liability for the flag's setting sends a
>>packet, it leaves it alone.
>>
>How would this work in my case?
>I have a Pipeline 25 ISDN router in my house.
>I have several computers, used by myself, my wife, and my kids, connected
>via Ethernet to the p25. The router talks to my provider. I have _one_
>account at my provider.
>
>Multiple IP #s, multiple machines, multiple users, ONE account.
>Which router will insert the "suggested" flag, and how will it decide which
>packets to tag?

The way I envision it (in my nightmares), you'd have two options:  have
the account configured as "kid safe", and live in a cyberspace playground,
or have it configured as "adult", and accept responsibility for your kids'
use.  As I see it, with the censorship support at the network layer that
I outlined, the ISP can have "common carrier" status.  They sold the account
to an adult, so all packets delivered to the account are delivered to that
adult, as owner of the ISDN router.  If the adult chooses to then deliver
that packet to a child, it's no different than if the adult buys a copy
of "Debbie Does Dallas" and shows it to the kid.

>I suspect the people who thought this up haven't thought it through. :-)
>They are confusing "ISP accounts" with "e-mail" addresses, maybe?

Well, I don't know that the CDA supporters are thinking of.  I just
responded to the charge of "technically infeasible" with an outlined
technical solution.

I *do* think that the separation between ISP account and email address
isn't quite as black and white as you seem to think.

>My setup may be unusual, but it's certainly not unique.

Actually, I expect configurations like yours to become more widespread
in the near future.  There are a lot of cable-modem designs that
basically put an ethernet port on your cable box.  There's little
practical difference (from a network topology perspective) between that
and your ISDN setup.