NYT: Chaotic Encryption: a Solution in Search of a Problem

Noel Yap nyap at mailhub.garban.com
Sat Apr 13 00:54:15 PDT 1996

> There has been research into developing chaos based encryption, but none of
> the systems developed are nearly as strong as block ciphers such as IDEA and
> 3DES.  Chaos encryption is more like steganography than encryption.
> The chaos encryption schemes that I know of use a driving circuit to generate
> the carrier wave for the transmission.  If a person on the other end knows the
> driving circuit used, then that person can remove it.  The output of a chaos
> encryption mechanism is similar to static, but I don't think that it is
> particularly strong.  With proven strong encryption, the only advantage I can
> see to using chaos encryption would be to encrypt analog data.

I've actually been thinking about using chaos to sporadically add noise to some information before the info is encrypted.  After decryption, the receiver would then have to separate the noise from the real content.
Has anyone else thought about this?  Please respond directly to nyap at garban.com 'cos I'm no longer on the cypherpunks list.