PICS required by laws

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Fri Apr 12 23:47:06 PDT 1996

From:	IN%"frantz at netcom.com"  6-APR-1996 16:21:56.32

>I am less worried about this possibility than most.  PICS scrubbers will be
>as easy to produce as any other web intermediary.  (e.g. The one which
>replaces "bad" words with "censored".)

	Quite... as will ones that flip-flop the various packet bits that
people are discussing.

>I do not make these comments publicly, because I don't want to poke holes
>in network self censorship while the courts are grinding on the CDA.  (Note
>that true self censorship, where the viewer wants the filtering would not
>be impacted.  Those viewers would just not use that kind of intermediary.)

	I don't plan on mentioning it on CuDigest, either... just that any
imposition of this standard will leave countries where it isn't imposed.

> I applaud the ACLU's position in not rating their web page.  I will also
>note that it is possible for a PICS filter to refuse to pass unrated pages.

	Yes... and it would be possible for a PICS unrating filter to simply
set all of them to child-OK. With the current discussion of packet-based
censorship, it would appear possible for the bit in question to be reset by
_any_ of the systems it passes over at least as easily as those systems could
use this bit for filtration. I would suggest a "Trojan Horse" program to do
this, in order to A. get governmental systems and B. give SYSOPs an excuse to
run the flipping program.
	This flipping could produce either child-visible or child-invisible
material, depending on what result the system in question wished to produce.
Child-visible would help the children; child-invisible would make the Net
unusable for children whose parents weren't sensible enough to not use such
software. The latter, applied to technical material, would also drive China,
Singapore, et al nuts.

> If much of the technical information on the net is unrated, China,
>Singapore etc. will be between a rock and a hard place with the
>anti-censorship intermediaries.

	-Allen