[reputationpunks] Article on Moody's

Adam Shostack adam at lighthouse.homeport.org
Fri Apr 12 00:26:01 PDT 1996

s1113645 at tesla.cc.uottawa.ca wrote:

| This week's Economist has a nice tidbit on bond rating agencies and
| antitrust on page 80. A comment on firms that trade mostly on their reps.
| Is an unsolicited rating by a for-profit agency an act of free speach
| or an act of defamation?

	It seems that Moody has gotten greedy, and is asking for money
for unsolicited services, with a carefully worded non-threat.

	To my mind, unsolicited work is just that.  Its something many
of us do from time to time, with no expectation of being paid.
Usually we don't spend months on a project that won't be satisfying
without a contract.

	To do work and then bill for it without a handshake strikes me
as bogus.  I wouldn't do it myself, and I have no respect for Moody's,
who seems to be doing it.

	I trust Morningstar more because they bill me for the
information they give me.  They have no relationship with the
evaluated.  A much better model.

Adam

					               -Hume