Digital Cash Escrow

John Deters jad at dsddhc.com
Thu Apr 11 13:23:31 PDT 1996

At 08:11 PM 4/10/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At 10:14 PM 4/10/96, Bill Stewart wrote:
>
>>Of course, if you happen to become dead while you're storing it,
>>the paper cash is far more useful to your heirs, so I assume we'll have
>>a government-sponsored cash-escrow system announced soon to protect
>>the government's interest in collection of inheritance taxes...
>
>Don't give them ideas, Bill! They are known to monitor our list for
>insights into what to regulate next, and I can see the 15-watt lightbulbs
>going on over their heads as they ponder the wonderful opportunities
>presented by "digital cash escrow."

Sorry, but I couldn't shut up here.  Isn't this list about the free flow of
cryptographic information?  Let's not be like the government and shut down
what we talk about because we don't want certain people to know about the
technology.

Of course, your posting probably came out with tongue firmly in cheek, but
hey, censorship is still censorship (is still shit, thank you CDA.)

ObOtherListComplaint (doesn't everyone?):  Has anyone suffered ill-effects
by having their mail program filter Jim Bell's postings?  Perhaps a
10-point-rise in their IQs?  "Bytes are ALWAYS 8 bits" indeed.  Has this
child never been exposed to anything but PCs?  Go dig up the manuals for a
UNIVAC 1100, Jim.  Why do you think the RFCs for IP specifically refer to
"octets" as opposed to "bytes"?  Because (they explain) "octet" is
unambiguous, which then infers a certain ambiguity to "byte", now, doesn't it?

-j, I'll go back to lurking now for a while...
--
J. Deters
>From our _1996_Conflict_of_Interest_Statement_, re: our No Gift policy:
 "If you receive any alcoholic beverages, for example, a bottle of wine,
  you must give the gift to your location Human Resources Manager."
This memo is from the Senior V.P. of Human Resources.
| NET:     jad at dsddhc.com (work)    jad at pclink.com (home) |
| PSTN:    1 612 375 3116 (work)    1 612 894 8507 (home) |
| ICBM:  44^58'33"N by 93^16'42"W Elev. ~=290m (work)     |
| PGP Key ID:  768 / 15FFA875                             |