NPR is talking about smart card purses...

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Thu Apr 11 07:42:09 PDT 1996

Chase, Citi, MC and others are offering a stored value card on the west
side of Manhattan. They're saying that smart cards are faster than cash.
Stick the card in, say yes to the amount.  The terminals are wired directly
to a bank account, so we're looking at a book entry system, it looks
like...

The announcer is breathless at the possibilities....

I wonder if this is CAFE, Mondex, or what? anyone know?

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell
The e$ Home Page: http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/