NPR is talking about smart card purses...

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Thu Apr 11 02:51:17 PDT 1996

Responding to msg by rah at shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga) on
Wed, 10 Apr  5:53 PM

>Chase, Citi, MC and others are offering a stored value
>card on the west  side of Manhattan. They're saying
>that smart cards are faster than cash.  Stick the card
>in, say yes to the amount.  The terminals are wired
>directly  to a bank account, so we're looking at a book
>entry system, it looks  like...
>
>The announcer is breathless at the possibilities....
>
>I wonder if this is CAFE, Mondex, or what? anyone
>know?

Yep, NYT has a story on it today, the testrun is in my own
pigsty.

It's by Citibank, Chase Manhattan, Mastercard and Visa:
electronic cash loaded on a plastic card that can be used to
make small purchases.

The article also reviews the state of the art.

Wanna see it from me, or try http://www.nytimes.com?