No matter where you go, there they are.

rick hoselton hoz at univel.telescan.com
Thu Apr 11 00:21:51 PDT 1996

At 10:04 AM 4/10/96 -0400, Peter Wayner wrote:

>Hmm. Here's an interesting question.  Let's say that there are 3
>satellites in view broadcasting signals f1(t), f2(t) and f3(t).
>...Okay, so why can't I just tape the signals I get from each of
>the three satellites.

>Or course, I could be completely missing some neat feature of
>DGPS. ... Any thoughts?

I have read that GPS uses encryption to place time-dependent,
location-dependent inaccuracies into the signals.  Innacuracies
small enough so they are not a problem for civilian navigation,
(mostly) but large enough to prevent GPS from being a useful method
of military targeting for anyone who does not hold the keys.

Perhaps Ms. Denning is suggesting that the US feral government could
act as a "trusted server" (and she has repeatedly suggested such trust)
and tell us whether a GPS that "thinks" it's at some location, right now,
is REALLY at some known location.