CoS and anon remailers

Jim Byrd byrd at ACM.ORG
Wed Apr 10 20:09:55 PDT 1996

Here's more details.  For quite some time the Church of Scientology has been
pestered by an anonymous poster "Scamizdat" who regularly has been spilling
cult secrets onto the net.  These include directions on how to harrass
critics. Scamizdat (whoever he is or they are) appears to have been using
anonymous chained remailers.

Grady Ward, a critic of the cult, has been taunting the cult with "Have you
stopped Scamizdat yet?"  I believe that Grady is almost certainly NOT Scamizdat.

The church appears to have concluded that Grady is Scamizdat, has sued him,
applied for a writ of seizure to raid his house (denied), and asked for a
deposition (granted).

It appears that Scientology is interesting in getting into the records of
American anon remailers.  They are also interested in anon.penet.fi.  Once
before, they raided anon.penet.fi when some of their internal information
leaked out onto the net, and that poster has never been heard from again.

Someone asked if this wouldn't violate the ECPA.  In the past the cult has
seized whole computers, complete with email, and ignored court orders to
return them.

The whole story may be found on
http://www.cybercom.net/~rnewman/scientology/home.html

Here is a file I got from Ron Newman's web page:

Article 78833 of alt.religion.scientology: