Bulletin: Cypherpunks say no taxes owed by moneychangers!

Alan Horowitz alanh at mailhost.infi.net
Wed Apr 10 04:07:45 PDT 1996

> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 22:43:55 -5
> From: Frank O. Trotter, III <fotiii at crl.com>
> Aside from ecash, helping people to exchange currency is my day job
> so I see this all the time, especially this month each year.

  There is a guy in Tennessee who publishes a newsletter called _The
Moneychanger_.  He is one of those Constitutionalists. He did put himself
through hell to get acquited of an IRS charge - he is a dealer in gold
and silver and claimed that he wasn't selling anything, only changing
denominations of Money, with no profits. He won the federal case; the IRS
called their buds at the Tenn Dept of Revenue and had him indicted on a
failure-to-remit-sales-tax charge. He was convicted on that by the Jury
but he is appealing; meanwhile he only deals with out-of-Tenn people.

Which just goes to show that convictions/acquitals under a jury system
have a lot of random-walk flavor. Further reference at the OJ Simpson
newsgroups.