the cost of untracability?

Black Unicorn unicorn at schloss.li
Tue Apr 9 17:44:05 PDT 1996

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> At 03:36 PM 4/8/96 -0400, Black Unicorn wrote:
>
> >In addition, to prevent funds from being removed to non-resident aliens
> >or foreign entities where tax enforcement and collection is difficult,
> >there is a 30% withholding requirement in the event the payee is not a
> >U.S. citizen or resident (for tax purposes).
>
> The withholding tax applies only if the payee is not a resident of a
> jurisdiction with a tax treaty with the US.

Agreed, but with qualification.

Most, but not all, tax treaties include provisions limiting or
eliminating the foreign soruce withholding tax.  Note, however, that these
are typically only treaties that also provide for information sharing and
enforcement of foreign tax judgments.  Offshore jurisdictions which do
not permit information sharing, jurisdictions without mutual legal
assistance agreements, and offshore jurisdictions which do not
have treaties at all with the United States (i.e. jurisdictions where one
would want to actually hold assets and feel them secure) are going to
expose the payee to this liability.

It's a trade off unless one finds a jurisdiction without such a treaty
which is  at the same time unwilling to cooperate and withhold the
taxes.  Even in the event this jurisdiction is used, if the payor has
assets in the United States they will be attachable to satisfy the
payee's 30% withholding tax.

In my view it is best to opt for banking secrecy jurisdictions and
financial entities that hold no significant assets in the United States.

  Net banking will further muddy
> the waters on this because of the difficulty of telling the residency of
> customers particularly in the case of accounts transferred to third parties
> for profit -- a worthwhile future business activity.

Agreed.

> DCF

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn at schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information