"Contempt" charges likely to increase

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Apr 8 05:56:14 PDT 1996

Unicorn wrote:

> No ISP in its right mind is going to ask for trouble.  If I'm a
>prosecutor and I suspect that the ISP may be complicit in hiding
>evidence, I'm going to ask for a search and seizure warrant (a la sun
>devil) and just walk in and take the equipment I believe the data to be
>on and then satisify myself that it's unattainable.

Last semester I taught a seminar on computers, crime, and privacy and we
had, as a guest lecturer one evening, Silicon Valley's one full time
computer cop (he works for the SC County D.A.'s office). One of his
comments was that ISP's were generally very cooperative, because they knew
that he could legally impose large costs on them by seizing their systems
as evidence.

David Friedman