What backs up digital money?

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed Apr 3 00:46:05 PST 1996

At 11:11 AM 4/2/96, Hal <hfinney at shell.portal.com> wrote:

> I am curious to know why you say that ecash is not a currency.  One of
> the main points of my original posting was to challenge this view.

I'd like a shot at this...

I sort of blurted this at the coin-BOF at CFP96, and I think I'll still own
up to it, viz,

When money finally goes onto the net, and never comes back, the digital
bearer certificates we call ecash will be a currency. Until then, it's just
a script.

Or is it an interestless bond? ;-).

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell
The e$ Home Page: http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/