ViaCrypt PGP 4.0 for Windows shipping

John D. Cooley jdcooley at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 2 08:51:50 PST 1996

Alan Olsen <alano at teleport.com> wrote:

>I have not seen this here yet, so sorry if you have seen it...

>ViaCrypt is claiming that they are now shipping the Windows version of their
>PGP 4.0.  (I tend to not believe marketing claims until I hear from people
>who actually have it.)

I have had my ViaCrypt PGP version 4.0 for windows for 1 week.

>Does anyone know if there are plans for this version to be interoperable
>with PGP 3.0?

It is *supposed* to be interoperable with all PGP versions 2.6 and later.

>Furthermore, has anyone tried the new version?

I have used it, but so far have not been able to communicate with anyone
that is using PGP 2.6.2.  I have communicated with ViaCrypt and they are
researching the problem.  Yes, I used the option that is supposed to make
the key interoperable with PGP 2.6.2.  I followed the instructions in the book
and the security note.  Even did it again (generated a new key) just to make
sure I did it correctly, still no go!

I will not blame ViaCrypt until I know if it is my fault or not!

BTW, I'm using the Business Edition.

jdcooley at ix.netcom.com
Always do right.  This will
gratify some people and astonish