Blue Water spooks

Black Unicorn unicorn at schloss.li
Mon Apr 1 00:05:38 PST 1996

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Jonathon Blake wrote:

> 	Alan:
>
> On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Alan Horowitz wrote:
>
> > metaphor} spook services) could do better than the Japanese did in
> > sigint'ing against human speakers of Navajoe?
>
> 	Have the Chinese turned their thought towards cryptography,
> 	or cryptanalysis yet?   If so, I suspect the answer is
> 	yes,  If not, then the answer is a definate No.
>
> 	The Chinese Intelligence Service traditionally has
> 	not looked outward, preferring to ply its trade domestically.
> 	That said, the earliest extant text on espionage is Chinese.

This is not strictly true.

The Chinese are widely reputed to have penetrated both Japanese and
Russian services quite completely.  Their industrial espionage has been far
reaching (United States, U.K., Germany) and their political disruptive and
fund raising activites have included fully funding arms dealers in
California and all over the western United States.

In the mid 80s several "former" Chinese intelligence officers appeared
in California and opened gun shops.  Their prices on Chinese made weapons
were so low that compeditors couldn't figure out how it was done.
Finally someone did some poking around and found that the Chinese
government was literally giving the weapons to the agents, allowing them
to keep something like 80% of the profits.  Really quite a clever (and
typically communist) scheme.

"The capitalist pigs will destroy themselves with our guns and pay us
for the favor.  Muahahah!"

20/20 and Frontline both did pieces on the operation.

Bottom line:  The Chinese have often extended their intelligence
operations beyond their borders, even boldly.

>         xan
>
>         jonathon
>         grafolog at netcom.com

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn at schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information