NetScape's dependence upon RSA down for the count!

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Sat Sep 30 15:14:10 PDT 1995

Ok, several people have asked:

> Please explain to me how you can break SSL using the above method. I
> don't follow your line of thought. How could my fake www server
> intercept and redirect packets to netscape.com short of hacking a DNS
> server?

client ->       filter                          Client sends packet with K(c)
                filter ->       Server          filter forwards packet with K(f)                filter       <- Server          Server sends encrypts with K(f)
client       <- filter                          filter re-encrypts with K(c)

As the protocol progresses the filter also uses the master key,
and follows the renegotiation as the master key expires.

The existance of a working filter is enough to invalidate the security in
NetScape's claims.

hacking a DMS server is one way, spoofing a DNS reply to named is easier,
simply packaging the filter into a router/bridge close to the server
is more effective ... even if hacking the incoming phoneline/T1 line
to the server and inserting a very transparent bridge AKA a phone tap.

There is enough dollars to make the risks ... :)

John

BTW ... how do I join for these two list? Where are they archived to
catchup with past traffic?