SpokesPunking...

Craig Hubley craig at passport.ca
Fri Sep 29 01:33:10 PDT 1995

> At 3:03 AM 9/26/95, Craig Hubley wrote:
> >"Consensus on cypherpunks seems to be that 40 bit encryption is not viable
> > for commercial applications, and that Netscape seems to have taken less
> > than due care to choose an appropriate random seed for its session keys."
>
> No offense offered Craig, 'cause I like reading your stuff here, but the
> concensus opinion on cypherpunks is "We don' need no steeenking
> spokespunk!".

Does this read like spokespunking ?  I kind of read it more like journalism.

Then again, the role of a temporary mouthpiece, if claimed by anyone, will
lead to a series of flame attacks no matter what they say, even if correct
and reasonable.  And we don't need more of those!  So no spokespunking!

How about standardizing on:  "It seems to me that..." and if someone wants
to refer to his impression of what 'other' punks think, then so be it.

>It seems to me that you can say that without any title, and
> the mouthier amongst us will be tapped for quotes as individuals anyway...

As I was today.  Banking technology or some such trade rag.  Stay tuned
for the editor's guaranteed-outrageous misquotes.  I was careful not to
say anything that might be constured as a quasi-official 'punk' position.
I made the point that the hacking of secure systems, when done in the open,
and without intent to grab private information, was a legitimate activity
in the computer security community, which included the cypherpunks as one
of several interested sub-communities.  And that Netscape saw it that way
too, having acknowledged that they had 'learned a lot', etc.  So...

Flame me!
--
Craig Hubley                Business that runs on knowledge
Craig Hubley & Associates   needs software that runs on the net