"Notes" to be Eclipsed by "Netscape"

Mats Bergstrom asgaard at sos.sll.se
Thu Sep 28 13:17:48 PDT 1995

Pete Loshin wrote:

> >Timothy C. May wrote:

> >(I've been saying for a while that the Web serves that purpose better, and
> >that Web browsers will likely edge out Notes. Apparently I was hardly
> >prescient, as Netscape recently bought Collabra, which is pushing that
> >point exactly.)
>
> Notes uses replication to distribute data across networks;
> there are better ways to have people compute remotely in my opinion
> too (not sure WWW is THE answer, but it certainly is one of them).

In an interview today in a Stockholm paper with a technical spokes-
person for Hewlett-Packard (about the HP internal net with 19
worldwide connections to the Internet - by the way, allegedly
no one has ever succeeded in breaking their firewalls) it was
stated that Netscape was heavily used for HP internal business.
Apparantly there was a choice between Notes and the internal
Web, the Web being favoured 470:1.

Mats