alpha.c2.org nymserver

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 27 15:23:36 PDT 1995

>> Also, I am having a LOT of grief trying to get the alpha.c2.org  remailer to
>> work for me... (yes, I have the help files)
>> Could someone walk me through it?
>
>You mean the nym server at alpha.c2.org? It seems to have about a 1 week
>delay on it...
>
>Be sure the reply block that you give it is your own, and that you tell
>alpha which remailer the reply block goes to.

If you get a copy of the latest Private Idaho beta, it's got a convenient set
of user interfaces for using the nymservers, as well as for PGP, remailers, etc.
(Runs on Windows, so some of you may not find it all _that_ convenient :-)
PI works with either vanilla PGP or ViaCrypt.
The first step is to get the PGP key for alias at alpha.c2.org installed in your
key ring, and update PI's key tables (a menu item).  Then choose the "Create
a nym"
menu item and follow all the dialog boxes.  I found it a little confusing at
first,
since I didn't realize the nymserver just uses secret-key encryption and not
public-key, so you don't need to create a public-key-pair to do it - the only
PGP involved is encrypting the message sent to the nymserver.

So you can now send mail to the _highly_ anonymous wcs at alpha.c2.org :-)
#---
# Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, stewarts at ix.netcom.com
# Phone +1-510-247-0664 Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281
#---