getting netscape to support the remailers

sameer sameer at c2.org
Tue Sep 26 06:17:02 PDT 1995

	I started thinking about what it would take to get Netscape to
support sending mail through the remailers, after having read the
S/MIME specs which Netscape 2.0 is apparently going to
support. Perhaps with enough browbeating Netscape 3.0 will support the
remailers.

	I think that in order to get netscape to support the remailers
the remailers will have to:

A) Support S/MIME
B) Have a documented protocol, MIME-related

	Did Ray Cromwell do some work towards MIMEifiying the
remailers? My impression of his work back when he posted was that it
trusted the remailers too much, but perhaps my memory is flawed-- in
any case his work may be helpful towards developing a remailer
standard, which could then help get support incorporated into
MIME agents.

	I will begin work on a preliminary specification, and post my
results. I figure MIME remailers would allow for:

1) Transparent reply-blocks
	Someone could have a multipart mime message where one of the
parts is Content-Type: reply-block and the MUA would see that and
understand to send replies with that reply block to the remailers.

	I will be posting more as I work out the details. I welcome
comments, suggestions, etc., as I figure that my initial specification
will require much improvement.

--
sameer						Voice:   510-601-9777
Community ConneXion				FAX:	 510-601-9734
http://www.c2.org (or login as "guest")			sameer at c2.org