HEY!!! WAS: The Next Hack

Mike McNally m5 at dev.tivoli.com
Sat Sep 23 08:32:13 PDT 1995

David Mandl writes:
 > Looks like we've got a perfect candidate for the first Official
 > Cypherpunks Press Release, folks.

Then sign me off.  If something that inane were to go out with the
word "cypherpunk" affixed to it, I'd cringe.  It could only be worse
if it ended with the catchphrase "hack the planet".

[ David quoted the "Censored Girl": ]
 > >Hey wait a minute!!!
 > >
 > >You HAD stated a patch would be available by Friday.
 > >Now we are at early next week.
 > >
 > >I watched the stock rise in the face of bad facts.
 > >Almost 25% of your stock changed hands yesterday.

So?

 > >For the moment, it seems to me, anyway, you're getting
 > >a lot of work done here for dirt cheap. I don't know
 > >cypher codes very well, but I know Wall St. codes really
 > >well. And THEY ARE BEING VIOLATED! I am glad there is no
 > >anonymity on Wall St. We are starting to get into the
 > >realm of SEC action. And I could really care much about
 > >what happens out on the list.

I won't even dignify this by calling it speculation; it's simply and
absolutely wrong.  Any "Netscape insiders" are locked out; they
couldn't manipulate the stock price if they wanted to, and if they
have any brains in their heads at all they're absolutely the last
people on earth who'd make a move that stupid.  It won't be until
January at the very earliest that anyone who holds restricted shares
will be allowed to trade.  The stock's in all likelihood being bounced
back and forth between big technology funds, who don't give a rat's
ass about some security bug in the product.

 > >That is the point of this.
 > >You can't really fix it.
 > >Most of us know it.

Gee, I don't know that.

 > >The lies mount up
 > >on the stock price.

Huh?  Do you actually have any earthly idea how the market works?

 > >I normally couldn't care less, I'm a Coca-Cola trader.
 > >My stock is at an all time high as I write this.
 > >It's up over 1200% in 10 years. No one can match it. (even MSFT)
 > >
 > >This is much worse than NEW COKE!

Ridiculous.

 > >Soon they will halt your stock trading if this keeps up.

I'll eat my shoe if that happens.

| Nobody's going to listen to you if you just | Mike McNally (m5 at tivoli.com) |
| stand there and flap your arms like a fish. | Tivoli Systems, Austin TX    |