"Going after Netscape"

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Fri Sep 22 18:27:21 PDT 1995

At 12:37 AM 9/23/95, Jim Ray wrote:

>I'm with Lucky, let's go after Netscape itself. They deserve it more
>than their customers do, and they would then have a strong motivation
><evil grin> to fix it. The press release would then *only* involve
>Netscape, and maybe a few C-punks could buy a few Netscape puts ;)
>and donate the bucks made for something like Tim's stable remailer.

I think we need to be very careful not to do things like we have a vendetta
against Netscape.

Netscape has a Cypherpunks presence, of course, and His Andreeseeness was
even on the list for a while last December.

Today's "San Jose Mercury News" had a photo of Goldberg and Wagner and a
fairly long article about how James Barksdale, Pres. of Netscape, plans to
hire them to help improve Netscape's security. He even made noises about
thanking them for their cracking efforts, and said improving Netscape's
security is a high priority.

It's sort of hard for me to imagine a company being more "Cypherpunks
friendly" than this.

(I mean about the issues that interest us.)

So, keep on "attacking" Netscape (kudos to Ray, by the way, though I've
seen Netscape bomb on certain sites, as with the Cypherpunks archive site,
as several of us noted a few months ago...probably a different problem, but
indicative that Netscape can be corrupted). But let's be careful not to
convey any flavor of this being a vendetta.

--Tim May

Notice: Don't expect me to reply to trivial questions and complaints.