netscape bug

Tom Weinstein tomw at orac.engr.sgi.com
Fri Sep 22 17:04:54 PDT 1995

In article <DFALB4.A5u at sgi.sgi.com>, "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> writes:

> I can tell you in general terms -- I don't write MIPS assembler
> myself. However, I will point out to you that you use an ancient
> Sendmail, and that it uses syslog(3) on user produced data, and that
> syslog uses a static buffer. Trick sendmail into logging something
> very big, and you can do what you like. The 8lgm people wrote a demo
> for Sparc as a proof of concept.

Hmm, after having looked at the syslogd code, it looks like this
particular bug has been fixed for at least several years.  However,
there sure are a hell of a lot of fixed size buffers being alocated off
the stack and some of them are being used in unsafe ways.

--
Sure we spend a lot of money, but that doesn't mean    |  Tom Weinstein
we *do* anything.  --  Washington DC motto             |  tomw at engr.sgi.com