Another Netscape Bug (and possible security hole)

Ray Cromwell rjc at clark.net
Fri Sep 22 10:14:04 PDT 1995

Perry writes:
> > These buffer overflow bugs should be taught in every programming
> > 101 course along with fencepost errors.
> >
> > I'm not even sure if I want to write the obligatory program to exploit
> > the hack given that some malicious jerk would probably use it
> > on his home page to attack people.
>
> The problem is that if you don't produce a (benign) exploit people
> aren't going to take it seriously enough.

  Yeah, I guessed that. I'll work on it, I have a few doubts I have
to research first. For instance, how to embed code in the domain that
1) server/client processing won't "cook" and 2) contains no isolated
zero bytes which would null terminate the string.

  My current idea is to look in Netscape for an "exec" routine,
and call it passing a "/bin/csh" to it.

  Irregardless, it's a nasty bug given that you can crash anyone's
netscape. And on Mac/Win3.1, it may even require a reboot.

-Ray