economic espionage (@#$%^&*)

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 22 00:11:25 PDT 1995

Dr. John Deutsch, speaking to the National Press Club, also mentioned
economic espionage, with the State Department as a primary
customer, but was concerned about definitions of goals, etc.
He did reassure the NPC that the CIA would continue to work with
drug dealers and corrupt South American military and other scum
who have information to sell, as well as cooperating more closely
with the FBI and DEA, but on the other hand he does apparently
view domestic operations as clearly outside the CIA's job.
One set of content in his speech was the planned combination of
the various satellite data interpretation organizations
into one group of CIA/Pentagon/NRO/NSA/etc.

ObCrypto: One questioner asked him about the growing use
of encoding and would the CIA be able to keep up eavesdropping on
people.  "We're very good at eavesdropping" was his main reply;
he did acknowledge that there was an issue but didn't go into
the party line about needing to have escrow to get GAK.

Clinton, meanwhile, reassured guests at a $1000/plate fundraising
lunch that the Republicans' economic plans would mainly affect
the poor and wouldn't trouble the rich too much...   :-)
#---
# Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, stewarts at ix.netcom.com
# Phone +1-510-247-0664 Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281
#---