netscape bug

Tom Weinstein tomw at orac.engr.sgi.com
Thu Sep 21 22:33:41 PDT 1995

In article <199509220443.AAA02254 at frankenstein.piermont.com>, "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> writes:

> Tom Weinstein writes:
>> While it is certainly true that you can stomp on memory in static
>> buffers, it's not clear that you can execute whatever code you insert
>> there.  If the buffer happens to be allocated off the stack (and the
>> stack grows down) then you can modify the return address.  Of course,
>> you have to know the address of whatever code you want to execute.

> Lets say, Mr. Weinstein, that you shove some code onto the stack along
> with the return address, and the address happens to be the code.

I never disputed that it could be done, I was just uncertain as to how
easy it would be.  As has been pointed out, it's not nearly as hard as I
thought, assuming you can execute in the stack.

> If you don't believe it can be done, its easy enough to demonstrate it
> on your machines, which I believe suffer from the syslog(3) bug, which
> your company hasn't patched so far as I know, and which afflicts the
> Sendmail daemons you ship with your machines. See the recent 8lgm bug
> report if you want details.

Hmm, could you explain how to exercise this bug?  Perhaps a sample
program?

>> Of course, that also assumes that you can execute from the data area
>> which is not always true.

> Its usually true on modern machines -- its very difficult to rig
> things otherwise given the way that lots of the dynamic loading works
> these days.

True.

--
Sure we spend a lot of money, but that doesn't mean    |  Tom Weinstein
we *do* anything.  --  Washington DC motto             |  tomw at engr.sgi.com