economic espionage (@#$%^&*)

Black Unicorn unicorn at polaris.mindport.net
Thu Sep 21 19:45:37 PDT 1995

On Thu, 21 Sep 1995, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

> ah yes, just like the way Clinton alone came up with the whole
> Clipper idea as a way to balance the legitimate goals
> of law enforcement with the right to privacy in society.

Uh, how do you see balancing in the economic intelligence issue?
Do you believe espionage is never justified?
"Gentlemen don't read each other's mail" almost lost a war.

> careful Bill, your strings are showing. and I won't say
> who is the puppeteer, but he has the initials N.S.A.

You need to write a conspiracy book.

> pardon me, but this new "economic espionage" sleazoid-intelligence-
> agency-justifying bugaboo really annoys me.

You prefered it when they were funding gunrunning and hostage negotiation
with drug profits and abbetting smuggling?

> I would *die* to see an op-ed in the NYT with the subject:
> "economic espionage: the new bogeyman decoy after the cold war"

Uh, you've not been looking.  Many have criticised the new emphasis as
justification in a threatless environment.

***

A very interesting note has been published on the subject just recently.
Interested parties might want to check out:

Augustini, Jeff, "From Goldfinger to Butterfinger: The Legal and Policy
Issues Surrounding Proposals to Use the CIA for Economic Espionage,"
26 Law & Pol'y Int'l Bus. 2 (Law and Policy in International Business, The
International Law Journal of Georgetown University Law Center).

While the author misses some key points, goes off on a silly
anti-trust tangent which totally misreads the current state of antitrust
law, and makes some outright misses on the legal logistics of passing
the information through government channels, the work also holds some
interesting research about the programs of Japan, France, Germany and Isreal.

Some Choice Parts:

'Intelligence officials in the United States estimate that at least twenty
foreign nations are currently engaged in intelligence activities
"detrimental to our economic interests...."'

'The White House Office on Science and Technology estimates losses to U.S.
businesses from foreign economic espionage at nearly one hundred billion
dollars per year.'

'Allegations within the French Government accuse U.S. personal, including
four diplomats, attempted to steal secret government documents relating
to Franco-American trade disputes.'

'A classified CIA report lists two top Japanese intelligence priorities as
(1); intelligence regarding access to foreign sources of raw material and
(2) "detailed intelligence on technological and scientific developments
in the United States and Western Europe."'

'In addition to intelligence operations abroad, the French are notorious
for routinely eavesdropping on, and conducting "bag jobs" against, U.S.
businessmen visiting France.  To conduct these "bag job" operations,
the French allegedly maintain an extensive network of part-time or
volunteer informants known as "honorary correspondents," whose main tasks
are to help the DGSE (French Intelligence) gain entry into hotel rooms,
delay or distract targets, and provide an early warning system in cases
where targets return early... placing electronic eavesdropping equipment
on Air France flights between Paris and New York to listen in on
traveling U.S. businessmen, attempting to plant moles in European
branches of U.S. corporations, and wiretapping state-owned communications
lines used by U.S. companies located in France.'

Most interesting for cypherpunks:

An ominous footnote #111 indicates that:  'While many American companies
employ encryption equipment, under French law they must give the "keys"
to the French government.  This allows the French Intelligence services to
listen to encoded transmissions.'

If anyone wants a fuller summary, I'll post it to the list with enough
interest.

Moral:  Even a clueless Law Student comments on intelligence better than
"Vlad."

---
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information