NSA and Netscape Crack

Brian Davis bdavis at dg.thepoint.net
Thu Sep 21 11:55:19 PDT 1995

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, Timothy C. May wrote:

> By the way, if we count our own Matt Blaze's work on exposing weaknesses of
> the Tessera/Skipjack/Clipper (they blur together) card as a "Cypherpunks
> achievement," then the Cypherpunks have actually played a dominant role in
> cracking these recent standards. (Not to mention the RC4 code postings, the
> various Cypherpunks involved in the RSA-129 and "BlackNet" factorizations,
> etc.)
>
> Well done, of course!

Absolutely.  And why not enter the PR fray by publicizing those
successes?  Press release/identify persons for followups/etc.  (All with
permission/participation of those who did it).

Certainly, Cypherpunks has gotten press lately, and what I've seen has
been good press.  Capitalize on it.

Finally, I've got to say that, as someone new to the concepts discussed
here, I found it extremely cool to read about the latest break here and
then see it in the news a day or two later.

EBD

> --Tim May

> Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
> tcmay at got.net  408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
> Corralitos, CA              | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
> Higher Power: 2^756839      | black markets, collapse of governments.
> "National borders are just speed bumps on the information superhighway."

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame away! I get treated worse in person every day!!