FROM A FRIEND . . .

Peter D. Junger junger at pdj2-ra.F-REMOTE.CWRU.Edu
Thu Sep 21 06:13:19 PDT 1995

Ian Goldberg writes:

: In article <43qrhf$gd5 at tera.mcom.com>,
: Jeff Weinstein <jsw at neon.netscape.com> wrote:
: >  I think that the general opinion of engineers and management here at
: >Netscape is that it would be A Really Good Thing to have our US-only
: >128+ bit version of Netscape Navigator available for download by US
: >citizens and others who are not legally prohibited from using it.
:
: Who _is_ legally prohibited from using it?  I think there are some countries
: where the very use of crypto is illegal (could someone please list them?),
: but who else?
:
: There are some people that may be legally prohibited from _obtaining_ it
: from a US site (ITAR yadda), but even so, if JRFurriner downloads
: crypto from company C's site in the US, who's guilty of ITAR-violation?
: Company C for making it available, or JRF for initiating the action
: that caused the bits to be send out of the country?
:
:    - Ian "my, I seem to be posting a lot tonight"

Probably both have violated the ITAR, but neither will be actually
prosecuted.  On the other hand, Company C will be threatened and
harassed until it stops making the software available.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
Internet:  junger at pdj2-ra.f-remote.cwru.edu    junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu