Netscape is doing well -- give 'em a break.

Nelson Minar nelson at santafe.edu
Wed Sep 20 23:32:31 PDT 1995

>Netscape is to be commended for even *putting* crypto into their product!

I'm impressed with the way Netscape has responded to recent
events. It's refreshing to see a company say "yes, we made a mistake
in our security software" rather than pretend there's no problem.
Word Perfect encryption, anyone?

>Cygnus' Kerberos faced the same random-seed problems and punted in
>similar ways.

Last time I looked, the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 scheme used in X11R4 had
the same problem: the random seed was based on the current time to the
microsecond, modulo the granularity of the system clock. I think I
figured that on my hardware, if I could figure out which minute the X
server started (easy with finger), I'd only have to try a few
thousand keys or so. Caveat: I never actually proved the idea.