netscape's response

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed Sep 20 07:37:07 PDT 1995

"Jeff Weinstein" writes:
>   It turns out that Taher Elgamal and I started working here within
> a week of each other, about 6 months ago.  Neither of us thought to
> take a serious look at the RNG seed code.  I don't think that anyone
> would accuse Taher of being an amateur in this area.

Well, he is more of a math guy than a practical guy.

For a long time, I've posted articles and have seen other people post
articles arguing that the right place to attack systems like this is
in spots like the random number generators.

Were I Netscape, I'd be conducting code reviews for lots of other
things, too.

Your coding standards should out and out ban the use, anywhere in your
code, of sprintf, gets, strcat, or any other thing that manipulates
strings without explicitly taking length limits. system and any
similar calls should also be banned entirely. It doesn't matter if you
"think" they are safe -- calls you don't use can't be somehow trickily
abused.

I suspect, however, that the seductiveness of "oh, this looks safe
enough" will probably continue to win out with your colleagues over
systematic approaches to these problems. After all, they never seemed
to learn the lesson in revision after revision of NCSA's stuff.

This is not to say that I think *you* are bad at this, Mr. Weinstein,
but you certainly have colleagues with the worst possible track record.

Perry