`Random' seed.

Richard Martin rmartin at aw.sgi.com
Wed Sep 20 06:16:09 PDT 1995

Vaporware which I heard around CFP '95, and have been sort of wondering about
ever since...

Some one told me that some one else [possibly Matt Blaze] had been looking
at how much randomness could be got by forking two child processes which
would just run as asynchronous clocks: whenever the parent program needs a
little `random' bit, it queries both and gives (clock(A) + clock(B) % 2)
or something.

Questions about this [to the list]:
 * who has done any [the?] work on this?
 * was it found to be useful/good or not?
 * what would be the drawbacks to adding this [Yet Another Source Of Entropy]
   to the Netscape scheme?

frodo =)

--
Richard Martin
Alias|Wavefront - Toronto Office [Co-op Software Developer, Games Team]