NYT on Netscape Crack

Thomas Grant Edwards tedwards at Glue.umd.edu
Tue Sep 19 13:09:56 PDT 1995

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, Eli Brandt wrote:

> It sounds as if Netscape thinks that public knowledge of the key
> generation is part of the problem.  I hope somebody on the security
> team convinces management that entropy is more important than publicity.

No matter what they say in the press, I doubt it will take more than a few
weeks to reverse engineer the new RNG seeder and figure out where the data
comes from.

I am hoping it was more of a PR thing than a technical thing.  I hope
that Netscape tells us their RNG seed so Cyperhpunks don't have to go to all
the trouble.  If they tell us, we can let them know if it is a reasonable
mechanism or bogus.

-Thomas