Crypto Sync Issue

Tom Rollins kelso at netcom.com
Tue Sep 19 11:49:36 PDT 1995

Hello,

I am interested in encrypting a SLIP link between my
PC (running Linux) and my Netcom shell account (running
SLIRP).

My question has to do with error conditions on the line.
If I drop a character or packet, the two sides will loose
crypto sync and result in things scrambled from then on.
The modems will fix most of the low level problems.
However, Murphy's Law has not been repealed. :)

Are there any standard methods to provide the SYNC between
the sender(encryption) and the receiver(decryption) on
an Async connection ?

Since Slip uses IP packets, I was planning on an encryption
of the data portion of the IP packets (leaving the header
alone).

Thanks,
Tom Rollins <kelso at netcom.com>