NYT on Netscape Crack

sameer sameer at c2.org
Tue Sep 19 07:08:27 PDT 1995

> Sure that's hard to notice, but what you describe was an accident, ie
> the code wasn't working as you thought it was.

	Also, the fact that the source isn't available meant that it
took quite some work to reveal the hole. In Eric's case, with
available source, his mistake was found and corrected.

> The moral in netscapes story is that closed systems are bad news.
> These things ideally need open review.  And of course designing things
> with the expectation that they are secure with the *given* that the
> full algorithm is known.

	Yes.

> Real shame because the rest of the software is very innovative
> compared to other browsers, and apparently good quality.  Also may be
> a set back for net commerce, which is bad news.

	Well if we hammer at 'em enough maybe they'll get their
security fixed. I still use netscape. I'm not going to stop using
netscape. (I'm not going to use netscape for anything sensitive
though, that's for sure.)

--
sameer						Voice:   510-601-9777
Community ConneXion				FAX:	 510-601-9734
http://www.c2.org (or login as "guest")			sameer at c2.org