"Hackers"-- brief review and anecdote...

Brian Lane blane at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 18 12:11:50 PDT 1995

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995, Steven Levy wrote:

> It's my impression that the play was staged a few years after my book
> came out in 1984 (though I chose the title in 1982). I remember reading
> the reviews then, and they didn't
> seem to mention that it was a revivial of a years-old play whose name I had
> unintentially used for my own book. (Unlike the case for the current
> movie, whose screenwriter seemed to know of my own book.)  If
> you have evidence that the play was indeed produced before 1984, please
> let me know.  Otherwise, I'd be happy to accept your apology, Peter.

  Guys, I think this has gotten a little silly. Trying to claim that
anyone 'stole' a single word title is equivalent to Microsoft trying to
tell other OS makers that they can't call their graphical frame things
'windows' because they thought of it first.

  The word 'Hackers' is a description of a group of people. It means
different things to different folks (personally I like the
definition/descriptions in Stephen's book) but since it is so widely used
I don't see how anyone can claim to have had it stolen from them.

  Just as a side note, Stephen's book 'Hackers' had a substantial
influence on me when I read it, and it holds a honored place among my
collections of books.

  Brian
 ftp.eskimo.com/blane     |                       |     www.eskimo.com/~blane