Anonymous WWW proxies

Laurent Demailly dl at hplyot.obspm.fr
Sun Sep 17 03:17:15 PDT 1995

Christian Wettergren writes:
 > |  + Chaining would be a imo good idea (ie cli <-> anonproxy1 <->
 > |    anonproxy2 <-> ... <-> server) but how would you manage to tell
 > |    your favorite web browser to add in its header something like
 > |    Http-Proxy-List: anonproxy2, ...
 > |    An alternative would be to have a database of avaibale (running)
 > |    proxies and that the proxy itself randomly choose a next route ?

 > Doesn't most of the browsers support a "firewall-proxy-mode", where
 > all queries are sent of to a special daemon, that forwards the query
 > on. This would probably be the place to add the header-munging.
yes, they support one level of proxying, but not several as far as I
know (so chaining must be done by the proxy itself as I suggested
below)

 > How do you plan to get the reverse-path working? Having a
 > encrypted/chained return path in the request?
Reverse path is not a problem because WWW works with a bidirectional
connection, so you get the answer to you query on the same path as you
send it (its client <-> proxy1 ... (<-> and not ->))

Regards
dl

--
Laurent Demailly * http://hplyot.obspm.fr/~dl/ * Linux|PGP|Gnu|Tcl|...  Freedom
Prime#1: cent cinq mille cent cinq milliards cent cinq mille cent soixante sept