Why ecash is traceable

Lance Cottrell loki at obscura.com
Fri Sep 15 21:27:23 PDT 1995

At 9:46 AM 9/15/95, Timothy C. May wrote:
>At 8:47 AM 9/15/95, Donald M. Kitchen wrote:
>>
>>Excellent discussion on the subject, actually. However, your idea of
>>the "first person to the bank" maintaining anonymity via remailer block
>>is flawed. First of all, if a collusion with the bank is being taken into
>>account, presumably sufficient enough resources are involved that someone
>>may try and track the reply block. Mixmaster (as your messages mentioned
>>by name) would be necessary to eliminate the chance of tracking the block
>>through combinations of replay attacks etc. (Which reminds me, has anyone
>
>Just to clarify a minor point, I mentioned "mixes," not Mixmaster. I have
>nothing against Mixmaster, but "mix" is the term Chaum invented for what we
>later started to call a "remailer."
>
>--Tim May

Indeed Chaum's phrase "digital mix" was the inspiration for the name Mixmaster.

        -Lance

Lance Cottrell   loki at obscura.com
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
Mixmaster, the next generation remailer, is now available!
http://obscura.com/~loki/Welcome.html or FTP to obscura.com

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche