CYPHERPUNK considered harmful.

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Fri Sep 15 13:34:24 PDT 1995

At 3:25 PM 9/15/95, Peter Trei wrote:

>Tim, I don't want to take your toy away, or minimize the acheivements

It's not "my toy" for anyone to take away.

The burden of proof lies with those who want the name "Cypherpunks"
changed, not those who are happy to let things go as they've been going.

Look, you've written a couple of long pieces explaining why a more
conservative name would be better, I've written some pieces on why it's not
a very workable idea, and yet I doubt anyone on the list has changed their
views. Or at least only a very tiny fraction.

The point being that things gain inertia, just the way it is. History
counts. Names stick.

But if you and your follows wish to change things, go ahead and have a
schism. That's what the Protestants did, once they realized the Catholic
Church wouldn't be changing it's system anytime soon.

--Tim May