Corporate Use of Anon WWW Proxies

Futplex futplex at pseudonym.com
Wed Sep 13 12:53:13 PDT 1995

[I pulled this from the firewalls list (use majordomo at greatcircle.com to join)]

Alex Eveleigh <Alex.Eveleigh at kellogg.com> writes:
> Subject: Monitoring Activity on the Internet
[...]
>      I would like to get some opinions on how easy it would be for someone
>      to monitor what information is being accessed on the Internet by our
>      company. For example how easy would it be for our competition monitor
>      all sites that people in our company are accessing and what
>      information we are pulling off the Internet.

This struck me as rather ironic in the wake of The Govt. Could Be Reading
_Your_ Home Page. It also sparked me to draw the short connection between
industrial espionage (and simple industrial nosiness), and anonymous Web
proxies. An obvious point, really, but companies often have an interest in
concealing the nature/extent of their Web crawlings, too. Perhaps there's a
market niche, or a few pro-anonymity publicity points, here for someone.

-Futplex <futplex at pseudonym.com>
"Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey" -J.L. & P.McC.