GAK/weak crypto rationale?

Brian Davis bdavis at thepoint.net
Tue Sep 12 20:52:45 PDT 1995

On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, Jim Gillogly wrote:

> > Brian Davis <bdavis at thepoint.net> writes:
> > No question.  Many high profile public corruption, Mafia, and high-level...
> > ...In our district, we managed to convict almost 20 people...
> > Particularly effective were the court-approved video and audio tapes of...
>
> > I don't doubt that wiretaps may sometimes be abused despite the
> > incredibly onerous review process, but they have positive aspects, too.
>
> In how many of these cases did you fail to get the necessary information
> because of encryption?  Has this proportion been changing over the years?

I wasn't personally involved in any of the cases, but I susupect the
answer re encryption is zero.  There was the time the FBI agent failed to
push the record button, however.

My response was to the wiretap correlation to career-making cases.  I
don't believe encryption is widespread enough yet to be a serious problem
in the Title III area.  It is a potential problem, though, as encryption
(rightfully) spreads.  The question I am debating with myself, with all
of your help, is what the policy "ought to be."

Even if I ultimately come down in my own mind on the Cypherpunks side of
the line, understand that, as far as policy goes (and, hell, everything
else for that matter), I'm a nobody.  But I try to make up my own mind
about what is right.

EBD

> > 	Jim Gillogly
> 	Hevensday, 21 Halimath S.R. 1995, 23:06

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame way! I get treated worse in person every day!!