Elliptic Curve Public Key Crypto available

Mike Rosing cryptech at Mars.mcs.com
Tue Sep 12 17:34:40 PDT 1995

On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, Andrew Loewenstern wrote:

> What about NeXT's Fast Elliptic Encryption (FEE)?  Their research guy,
> Richard Crandall, came up with major speedups to elliptic curve encryption.
> In fact, there was a simple cryptosystem that shipped as a demo with NeXTSTEP
> 2.0.  What was most interesting about this system was that it didn't store
> any keys anywhere;  your public/private key pair was generated _on the fly_
> from your passphrase every time you encrypted or decrypted....on a 25mhz
> 68040 too...   and it was fast!  It wasn't that great of an implementation
> (you _really_ need a lot of bits of entropy in that passphrase, and you can't
> change your passphrase without changing your PK), but it shows how fast
> NeXT's speedups are.  And this was in 1990...
>
> I'm not sure if the speedups are patented, but you could try a literature
> search.  If it really is fast then it could mean good things for servers that
> need to do a lot of enrcyption/decrption for interaction with clients.

Yes, the speedups are patented.  Their system relied on very specific
curves with very specific properties.  I purposly avoided coding up their
method because of that.  Their method is described in patent #5,159,632
dated Oct 27, 1992 and it uses a different equation (supersingular
version) than what I implemented.  The price is slower speed, but with
100 MHz processors you won't notice.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike